Thursday, April 24, 2008

Grassfed Lamb

Numerous research has been done on products that are raised on pasture/grass in comparison with animals raised in a feedlot/factory farm system. The nutritional advantages are quite clear in the case of grass fed lamb. Scientists that were working together with the USDA found that lamb raised on pasture and grass contained about 14% less fat and 8% more protein when compared with grain fed lamb. These results are quite intriguing when considering caloric intake and fossil fuel consumption. The same portion of meat would have significantly less calories from grass fed lamb when compared with grain fed lamb and those calories would surely add up over the course of one year, let alone a lifetime. It also takes a significant amount of energy to raise a lamb in a grain fed factory farming system. On the other hand, a pastured lamb exists solely off the energy of the sun and works in a much more balanced food system. Choosing grass fed lamb is a win-win situation in regards to the environment, as well as the nutritional consumption.

At Heartland, numerous grass fed lamb products are offered by a local farmer which makes for a very diversified lamb palate that truly never grows old of the distinct lamb taste.

2 comments:

~Kathy Dupuis said...

Hi Dane,
Thank you for making this space for those of us trying to eat locally.
It's true what you say about the grassfed lamb, I'm sure, but I still can't bring myself to eat the little buggers! I became a vegetarian when I was 18 (too many years ago now!) but a few years later after getting married and having kids I got tired of making two suppers every night so we compromised and I started eating chicken & fish and the rest of the family ate less beef etc.
Mostly I want to support local farmers & growers.
I was reading some of your other blogs and you mentioned that you do a lot of 'throwing'. What is it that you throw?
~Kathy Dupuis

Dane Miller said...

Kathy, I am a shot putter training here in Kamloops. I first got into healthy eating because I grew up in a fairly rural living condition. I later got into good nutrition because I wanted to improve my training without taking supplements. I may actually be writing a few posts that deal with positive and negative aspects of the vegetarian diet. Feel free to send me an email at any time.